Famous Amos Chocolate Chip with Pecan Nuts Cookies - Copycat
Chocolate Chip with Pecan Nuts Cookies
I experimented with a combination of 60% cocoa bittersweet chocolate chips and semi-sweet chocolate chips to balance the sweetness and bitterness of the chocolate taste in the cookies, it turns out well.
[*] Tips from Rachel Allen: to gently mix sifted flour into a creamed/whisked mixture with a spatula, ideally cutting and swirling through the mixture with the spoon on its side a figure-of-eight motion.
Ingredients110g plain flour (Prima) 1/4 tsp baking soda 75g unsalted butter (Golden Churn), softened 15g brown sugar 40g caster sugar 1/4 tsp salt 30g egg 1/4 tsp vanilla extract 25g Ghirardelli, 60% Cocoa Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips 25g Ghirardelli, semi-sweet Chocolate Baking Chips 50g pecan nuts (I used Redmart pecan nut bits)
- Bake the pecan nuts in the oven, using 150 degrees for about 5 minutes until slightly brown. If you are using whole pecan nuts, let it bake for about 10 minutes.
- Sift the flour and baking soda and set aside.
- Using an electric hand mixer, cream the butter, brown sugar, caster sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Add the whisked egg and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Fold the flour mixture into the butter mixture gradually[*]. Mix well and make sure there is no lump in the mixture. It will look like there is not enough liquid in the beginning, but it will comes together after a few swirl of the spatula.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips and pecan nuts into the mixture with a spatula. Cover the dough and let it rest in the refrigerator for at least an hour, this will prevent the cookies from spreading.
- Pre-heat the oven to 150 degrees top/bottom heat with fan. Lined the baking tray with baking paper.
- Use two teaspoons to scoop a small amount (about 10 cents diameter) of the dough onto the baking tray. Space them out about an inch apart as the dough will spread slightly. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Leave them on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring them onto a wire rack to cool. This recipe makes about 55 cookies.