Mashed Potato - Rachel Allen
creamy mashed potato
The original recipe was to boil unpeeled potatoes to retain the flavour and partly because floury potatoes (Golden Wonder or Kerr’s Pink) tend to disintegrate when peeled beforehand. However, I’m using Russet potato so I peeled them and shorten the boiling time to 20minutes.
A good tip from the author is to add extra milk if the mash is made in advance so that it does not dry out, then cover it and keep in a warm oven.
- 500g large russet potato, peel and wash
- black pepper
- 12g butter
- 75ml milk (55ml milk & 25ml single/regular cream)
- Cut the potato into cubes and place in a pot. Cover with cold water and bring the water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon of salt and reduce the heat to a simmer and boil for about 15 minutes. Transfer the potatoes into a large boal and mash until there is no lumps.
- In a small saucepan, add the milk and bring it to a boil. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Add the butter into the potatoes and season with salt and pepper, mix well.
- Gradually add in the milk and stir to a smooth consistency, stop when the potato mixture is sufficiently moist. Serve hot.