Yam Paste (Orh Nee), a famous traditional Teochew dessert in Teochew restaurants, is usually served warm with ginko nuts or pumpkin. Most of the recipes I’ve googled recommend cooking with lard/oil, lots of shallots and syrup/sugar and some with coconut cream over it. I preferred smooth, soft yam paste with a hint of coconut milk and as gingko nuts is not my fav, I skipped it this time. As experiment goes, this is successful and I will be making this for Chinese New Year. My family prefers non-sweet even for dessert, so I would suggest that you double the sugar amount for this recipe.
芋泥 - simple without the toppings
The dessert can be kept in the refrigerator and steam before serving. I have added coconut cream so I do not recommend keeping them for more than a day.
Grapeseed oil is my preferred cooking oil as it is high in antioxidants and polyunsaturated fat and has a subtle flavor. I always used Borges Grapeseed Oil , a product of Spain.
Gingko nuts, although antioxidant-rich and offers plenty of benefits, should be eaten in limited quantities (not more than 10) as they are toxic. You can read more here.
- 250g yam, skinned and cut into cubes
- 200ml water
- 20g rock sugar (冰糖)
- 2 pandan leaves (screw pine)
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 65ml coconut cream (Kara)
- 15 pcs gingko nuts (白果), cookied
- Steam yam for 25-30 minutes until soft. Mash the yam while it is hot and set aside.
- Bring the water to a boil, add the rock sugar and pandan leaves. Let the water boil until the sugar dissolves.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan with 1 tablespoon of oil. Lower the heat and add the mashed yam. Stir until the mixture is well-combined. Add the oil if the mixture is too dry, I used about one and half tablespoon.
- Add half the syrup into the yam mixture and stir into the paste, you do not want the paste to become watery. Pour in additional syrup until the paste becomes smooth. Add in coconut cream and stir until well-combined.
- Scoop the yam paste into serving bowls, place about 4-5 pcs of gingko nuts on top to serve. You can also serve the dessert with pumpkin cubes.