Sweet Potato Kuih with Grated Coconut
You can use any type or color of sweet potato and even replace sweet potato with pumpkin. My favourite, sweet potato from Red Gem Australia, they are not sugarly sweet and are less(or not at all) fibrous.
- 230g sweet potato
- 75g tapioca starch
- 60g sugar
- 50 ml water
- 125ml thick coconut milk
- 3 pandan leaves
- pinch of salt
- 50g grated coconut
- Peeled the skin of the sweet potato and cut into small cubes/slices. Steam the sweet potato in a hot steamer for 15 minutes or until soft. Drain the sweet potato and using a potato masher, mash the potato finely.
- In another small pot, boil the water, sugar and pandan leaves until sugar dissolves. Discard the pandan leaves and set aside to cool.
- Combine the sugar mixture with 160g of sweet potato puree, mix well. Add in the tapioca flour, coconut milk and salt, mix well.
- Pour the batter into a 6-inch tin and steam for 25 minutes. Remove the kuih from the steamer and set aside to cool, about 2 hours, slice into bite-sized pieces.
- Grated Coconut: combine the grated coconut, 1 pandan leaf and salt, steam for 5 minutes.
- Toss the sweet potato into the steamed coconut mixture, serve.