This recipe is super easy to make. I used Origins Organic Wholemeal Flour and lemon juice instead of orange juice. Since the recipe asks for quick rolled oats, I used instant oats. I had reduced the sugar only slightly because besides being a sweetener, sugar adds volume, tenderness, texture, color, and acts as a preservative. Just like the Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Muffins recipe from King Arthur Flour, you may need to reduce the chips/fruits/nuts to 1 cup as the quantity seems excessive. I chilled the dough for only an hour that it took me to make the Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Muffins, so the dough becomes soft within a short span of 10 minutes, I had to put it back in the refrigerator before doing the next batch.
Basic Whole-Grain Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp (78g) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (71g) brown sugar, light or dark, packed
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg (65g)
- 3/4 cup (85g) whole wheat Flour
- 3/4 cup (74g) quick rolled oats
- 2 tbsp orange juice * (I used lemon juice)
- 2 cups chips, nuts, and/or dried fruit, optional
*Add in orange juice only if you’re adding chips/nuts/fruit.
- Beat together the butter, sugars, salt, baking soda, baking powder and vanilla till well combined.
- In a mixing bowl, add in the butter, sugars, baking soda, baking powder and vanilla extract. Whisk until pale and fluffy. Add in the egg and beat till smooth.
- Fold in the flour and oats. Add in the lemon juice followed by the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least several hours, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line the baking trays with baking paper.
- Roll the dough into 1″ ball and place onto the prepared baking trays, spacing them about 2″ apart. I rolled into 0.5″ ball as we preferred smaller cookies.
- Bake for 13-14 minutes, or until they’re light golden brown, and a bit darker around the edges. If you prefer softer cookies, reduce the baking time by about 2 minutes. Remove the trays from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.