These muffins are moist, light and fluffy. I have made slight modifications to the original recipe after reading the review. I have reduced the sugar slightly and replaced half of the sugar with brown sugar. I used 1/2 teaspoon of instant coffee powder for the extra-strong flavour but the aroma was drown after baking, I would suggest to use 1 teaspoon instead. I have reduced the chocolate chips by about half, which is a good thing as you can see from the picture, the amount of chips suggested by the recipe seems excessive. However, if you want to stick to the original recipe, I would suggest that you add half the chocolate chips into the batter, mix well, add the rest gradually and stop when it is sufficient.
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Muffins
Ingredients1/4 cup (55g) salted butter, softened 40g granulated sugar 40g cup brown sugar 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 1/8 to 1/2 tsp extra-strong flavor, optional 1 egg (65g) 1/4 cup milk 120g whole wheat Flour (Origins Organic Wholemeal Flour) 1/4 cup 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips 1/4 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Baking Chips coarse sparkling sugar, for topping (omitted)
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Line the muffin cups.
- In a mixing bowl, add in the butter, sugars, baking powder, vanilla extract, and coffee powder. Whisk until pale and fluffy. Add in the egg and whisk. Pour in the milk and mix well.
- Fold in the flour and chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups. Sprinkle each muffin sparingly with coarse sugar (I’ve omitted as I’m trying to cut down sugar).
- Bake for 20 minutes (I have reduced the baking time as one of the reviewer mentioned that she took 17 minutes only), or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack.