I have modified the recipe from another similar one to see which is better. This may be easier to handle, taste wise not much different.
180g pumpkin puree
180g tapioca powder
1 tsp rice flour
200g coconut milk
100g grated coconut
pinch of salt
1. Cut the pumpkin into thin wedges and remove all the seeds. Steam the pumpkin pieces for 15 minutes. Check for doneness by pushing a tip of a knife into the pumpkin. When it’s ready, you should be able to insert the knife easily. Drain the pumpkin and mash.
2. Combine the grated coconut and salt and steam for 5 minutes. Set aside.
3. In a bowl, add the mashed pumpkin, tapioca flour, rice flour, sugar and salt. Mix well.
4. Add in the coconut milk and water gradually.
5. Strain the mixture into a pot and warm over low heat, stir constantly to prevent burning (test with your finger, it should be slightly warm only).
6. Pour the warm mixture into tray and steam over high heat for 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. I am using small molds so that it is easier to unmold and cooks & cool at a shorter time.
7. Allow the kuih to cool before unmolding them. If you are using a tray, let it cool for at least 3 hours before cutting it. Coat the kuih with grated coconut before serving.