One of my favourite soups to make at home is lotus root soup with pork ribs/lean pork/chicken feet. If you enjoy a nutritious bowl of Cantonese-style soup, you will appreciate this recipe for its simplicity and it is relatively easy to prepare. The soup is ready after at least one and half hour of boiling, of course, the longer you boil, the more flavourful it is.
???g lotus root (3 sections), washed
400g pork ribs/lean pork, washed
10 chicken feet (optional)
6 red dates
5g wolfberries, soak for 15 minutes
100g peanuts (optional)
2 litres water
1. Peel and slice the lotus root about 1 – 2 cm thickness.
2. Wash and soak red dates and peanuts.
3. If you are using pork ribs and chicken feet, blanch the chicken feet in a pot of boiling water first. Then transfer them to a plate. Blanch the pork ribs and washed off the scum.
4. In a pot, boil 2 litres of water. Add in the blanched pork ribs/lean pork/chicken feet, red dates peanuts and lotus root slices. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for at least one and a half hour.
5. At about 20 minutes before turning off the heat, add the wolfberries and let the soup simmer for another 20 minutes.
6. Season with sea salt to taste before serving.